By Toni Ross
Podcasts are a great alternative to learning new information in a fun and interesting way. They can be found for free online, in the automatic podcast App on iPhones and also on the Spotify Premium App. Here’s a list of our favorites from 2016
1. Serial : This podcast entails an investigative reporter looking into a case where a 17-year-old boy might have been wrongfully convicted for murder.
2. Stuff You Missed in History Class : Two women give you information about the strangest and greatest topics from history that most people didn’t know even know about.
3. Up and Vanished : This podcast follows a movie producer looking into doing a documentary over an 11-year-old unsolved case of a Georgia beauty queen disappearance, this case is known as the largest case file in the history of Georgia.
4. Crimetown: This podcast investigates the culture of crime in different American cities. Hosted by two men trying to decipher the good guys from the bad guys. May contain explicit content, recommended for ages 13 and over.
5. Reveal: This podcast from the Center for Investigative Reporting is about uncovering hidden stories. Taking you inside stories that reveal injustice and hold the powerful accountable. May contain explicit content, recommended for ages 13 and over.
6. Women of the Hour: Podcast miniseries hosted by Lena Dunham as she talks with different influential women about friendship, love, work, bodies and more.
7. Historically Black: A podcast based upon the history and meaning of the objects donated to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History.
8. Sword and Scale: This podcast covers true-crime stories, high-profile trials, unsolved murders and missing persons cases. Some of the stories covered contain explicit content, not recommended for people under 17 years of age.
9. In the Dark: This podcast follows an APM reporter as she looks into the child abduction case of Jacob Wetterling and how law enforcement mishandled it and caused the case to be unsolved for 27 years.
10. TED Radio Hour: Podcast based on talks given by riveting speakers about new ways to think and create, fresh approaches to old problems, astonishing inventions and fascinating ideas.